Thanks for all the help with this, i hope it of use for others
too.

Charles wrote,

> If you have All the xmms rpms move them all to 1 dir, call it
> xmms if you like, cd to that directory and rpm -Uvh *rpm

I like that!

However there were still dependencies - but less.  Until i found
one of the files needed and did it again and suddenly I needed
new everything.

OK one cant upgrade just one program if it uses new libraries -
it will need an upgrade to the whole new mandrake.  OK - I wont
do that till it is out as the next version.

Anyway, xmms works after i reinstalled it from the disk thus:

[derek@Derek derek]$ cd /mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/RPMS
[derek@Derek RPMS]$ su
Password:
[root@Derek RPMS]# rpm -Uvh --oldpackage xmms*

Thanks for that Derek.

~~~

Now I'd like to upgrade xfree86 4.1.0 to 4.2.0

I have tried, but the dependencies are horrendous...

where to from here?

Walter