On Thu, 7 Feb 2002 10:45:06 +0700, Brian Durant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> Thanks for all the help so far from Roger, Paul and Shane. To save some
> money, I was thinking of using my Iomega ZipCD 650 CDRW with this
> configuration. Does anyone have any experience using a CDRW USB 1 with
> Mandrake 8? Any problems. By the way, the main caveats for my
> configuration are as follows:
>
> 1) As little legacy stuff as possible. No ISA ports and a minimum of
> serial and paralel ports.

A couple of empty ISA ports won't really do any harm, unless you need to plug in
heaps of PCI cards. Whatever you do, your CPU chipset will still have ISA
support enabled, so there is no real preformance benefit from not having ISA
slots.

> 2) This is a $US 1,000 box so while a Soundblaster Live! 5.1 Platinum w/
> Live! sound card and a ATI Radeon AIW 32mg video card sound great, I am
> not sure that I can squeeze those into my budget. The point about CPU
> slowdown with onboard sound is well taken however, and I will try to find
> a dooable alternative.
>
> Here is a reminder of the original configuration with the extra RAM
> added, which I understand is a must:
>
> - Pentium IV 1.6GHz
> - Mainboard Intel D845BG

Again, I strongly recommend an AMD-based system. You can get better
bang-for-buck that way. Someone else on the list recommended a Soyo Dragon
motherboard. I second that recommendation. It has built-in sound and ethernet
that apparently works very well in GNU/Linux.

> - Memory 512MB DDR Ram
> - Harddisk 40GB 7200Rpm IDE

Check the performance specs before you buy. The worst thing you can have is a
slow hard drive. Again, don't go Western Digital.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan

                MacOS, Windows, BeOS: they're all just Xerox copies.