I feel I must disagree with this.  IF you run the latest KDE/graphical gui
you need more ram, but 256 on a reasonably up-to-date machine (700+mhz) is
enough for the job.  If you run an older, slower machine, and use a smaller
gui such as Xfce, IceWM, etc (I've used Blackbox, but found it a bit too
minimal), a P200 with 128 megs, or even less, will do the job.  Choose your
apps carefully--use Opera for web browsing and xwc for file browsing, and you
will do fine.  I have an older kernel, 2.1x something and RedHat 6.x on a P90
with 48 megs and it runs fine--looks a lot like Win3.1, though.

BTW, I'm typing this on a P233, 284megs, running Xfce, and it is FAST!  This
machine is sitting on top of a (overclocked) P733 with 284 megs.  Both run
8.0, and the primary difference is the gui of choice for the 733 is KDE and
the one I'm running on this one is Xfce.  I use the "slow" machine most of
the time because I really do prefer Xfce, and I can't see any performance hit
at all, between the two.  Both machines have VooDoo 3's.

and that's my $.02

e.