Finally, I have working copies of Apache 1.3.22 and PHP 4.1.1 on my LM8.0
box. Apache has been set up with "nobody' permissions, and I write test
scripts as root and place them in /home/web/apache/htdocs.

I can read scripts from this directory, but I've tried to use:
. . . excerpt . . .

 $filename = "/tmp/graffiti.dat";
 $handle = fopen ($filename, "a+");
 fputs ($handle, $graffiti);    [I've also tried fwrite]
 fclose($handle);

. . .  followed by a form that takes $graffiti as input . . . and then a php
script that displays the contents of the appended $filename . . .

And no matter what I try, nothing is written to "graffiti.dat" -- I've
checked that it is writeable. Somehow, I think it's related to permissions
and the group "nobody". I've written the script as root, and another as user.
Neither works. Apache (temporarily) is run at root -- I'm just learning
Apache and PHP -- this is a developmental setup, not connected to the outside.

If there are any gurus that can help me, I'd appreciate it. Permissions are
set otherwise to 755.

I'm obviously not clear on the concept of "nobody" and how it affects running
of scripts. Who cn arun these, if it's set to "nobody"?

Tia,
Andre

--
Please pray the Holy Rosary to end the holocaust of abortion.
Remember in your prayers the suffering souls in Purgatory.

May God bless you abundantly in His love!

For a free Cenacle Scriptural Rosary Booklet -- http://www.webhart.net/csrb/