Richard, unfortunately I think that linux can't write/delete from a
FAT32 partition. That was possible in the old FAT partitions, but became
impossible with FAT32. Maybe you can find a program that makes it for
you. For example, there is a program for windows that reads ext2
partitions and has experimental support for writting ext2 partitions. It
is called explore2fs and you could try it in order to see if it can
really write to an ext2 partition and then change your data partition to
this format, this is an idea. Also you can look for a linux program that
does the opposite, writting to a FAT32 partition. Well, I hope my
suggestions can help you, good luck !

Rodrigo