Rodrigo wrote:

> Guys, I need help !
> I can't play audio CDs. When I run kscd, I always get the following
> message: "read or access error, make sure you have access permissions
> to /dev/cdrom".
> I tried  Configuration>KDE>Sound>Audio CD IO Slave to change de device
> to /dev/hdc or /dev/cdrom0, but the problem remained the same, same
> error message.
>
> I started ferretting my /dev directory and found these links:
> cdrom -> /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 (this one appears flashing on a red
> background, as if it was an invalid link ?!? )
> cdrom0 -> /dev/cdroms/cdrom0
>
> well, all of the above links will end up pointing to
> /dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/cd as /dev/hdc does. Seems to be
> everything ok, unless for the /dev/cdrom flashing in red. I can mount
> data cds with mount /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom but, if I use mount /dev/cdrom
> /mnt/cdrom, I get an error message, telling that there is no cdrom
> device (?!?!?).
>
> Another problem, I can't mount the cdrom by the icon on my KDE
> desktop, it says "/bin/sh - permission denied". I tried /bin/chmod a+x
> mount and chmod a+w /mnt/cdrom but it didn't work. The message now is
> "you must be superuser to mount".
> So, I can only mount as root using the command line.
>
> The final issue: I don't have a sound card, I have a media controller,
> an onboard via686a. There is no cable linking the cdrom device to my
> mother board, so, the audio playback must be digital by the IDE
> interface. At least that was the way I played audio cds in Window$.
> The question is, in case I can solve the "access" problem with kscd,
> how can I make it play in digital mode ?
>
> I am using mdk8.1 and I can play mp3, wav, midi ok, without any
> problem. In other words, my media controller seems to be working
> pretty fine.
> If someone knows how to solve this "mess", please help me, I'd
> appreciate !
> Thanks,
>
> Rodrigo

I don't know if it can help but for me the only way to make kscd work
was changing the file (home)/.kde/share/config/kscdrc by a text editor
changing the row  CDDevice=hda  (in my system I connected  cd as master
and hd as slave to add a little bit of confusion), in yours should be
hdc of course.
Idem no way to mount cd from kde panel using devices like
/dev/cdanything only way was /dev/hda;
someone said some days ago that a program called xmms-cdread should read
cds via ide digital cable;
someone says it is in 8.1 distribution, someother says it don 't. bye.