First of all can I say its really good that 8,1 has added support for the
Alcatel SpeedTouch modem. This has simplified things alot for me!

Now onto my problem....

Ive installed a very small setup of Mandrake 8.1 with firewall support only.
The intention is to run it as a firewall/Name Server/Proxy Server/Web Server
on my small network at home. The ADSL modem I have setup is the Alcatel
SpeedTouch USB.

This seems to work however my routing tables dont seem to be setup
correctly.

When my machine starts it auto connects (everthing looks fine in
/var/log/messages). However I cant ping my ISPs DNS server.
When I run route to see the routes setup it hangs until I ctrl-break.
If I then add a route to my DNS server I then get all these additional
entries in my routing table.
If I then add a default route via the device ppp0 everything seems to work
from my linux box.

Ideally I would like this to happen automatically on startup of the box.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Claudio