Burrows, Scott wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I've just installed MD 8.1.
>
>My system starts up in GNOME.  I pressed <CTRL><ALT><F1> and it took
>me to a command prompt out of GNOME.  This is OK and expected but..........
>
>How do I get back to GNOME from there?
>
>How is this different then simply clicking the "Open Terminal" icon in
>GNOME?
>
>Thanks from a true newbie.
>
>Scott Burrows
>GSBE/EDIView/BSBE OSM Support
>perotsystems(tm)
>Office:   407 804-3208
>Pager:   407-400-0197
>Fax:        407-804-3340
>E-Mail    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

ctrl-alt-f7 gets you back

It is different in that the logged-in device is a console rather than a
pty, and you do not have the DISPLAY variable set.  You can make a
terminal window behave almost identical to a console by

unset DISPLAY

The other major difference is that your foreground/background control is
only from the command line since you can't just move the mouse to the
GUI windows and do something else but have to use ctrl-alt-fx  (where 1
<=x <=7) to go to a different window.

Note also that it is unwise to use ctrl-alt-f1 becaue that is where X is
launched.  Use 2-6 for additional consoles

It is a good skill to be able to use consoles--when some program freezes
X, you can slip away with ctrl-alt-f2 from the frozen screen, login,
call up the processes list with

ps ax|less

and probably discover the process causing you problems--note its name or
number and try

kill (number)
or
killall (name)
or
kill -9 (number)

Then ctrl-alt-f7 will take you back to an unfrozen GUI

That's how the folks using linux a while get uptimes of hundreds of days...

Civileme