Thanks Randy!

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: Randy Kramer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2002 2:54 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] What does CTRL-ALT-F2 get you?

Burrows, Scott wrote:
> My system starts up in GNOME.  I pressed <CTRL><ALT><F1> and it took
> me to a command prompt out of GNOME.  This is OK and expected
but..........

> How do I get back to GNOME from there?

Press <CTRL><ALT><F7> (or occasionally, I've had to press F8).

Pressing <ctrl><alt>F2 took you to a virtual console (one of six -- F1
thru F6) but left your X applications (GNOME) running in ...F7.

> How is this different then simply clicking the "Open Terminal" icon in
> GNOME?

Don't use GNOME, but I believe it is the same as what happens in KDE --
in one case (Open Terminal) you open an X-based terminal within KDE
(Konsole), in the other case you open a non X-based "virtual terminal".

Randy Kramer