Andy Gay wrote:

> Thanks for help so far.
> I have tried several things.
> The dmesg reported:
> hdc: Toshiba DVD-ROM SDC2502, ATAPI CD-DVD ROM drive

Okay, so its /dev/hdc

> I did a
> ln -s /dev/cdrom /dev/hdc as root and got
> /dev/hdc already exists

So the link already exists

> Doing
> ls -l /dev/cdrom
> I get
> lr-xr-xr-x      1       root    root  16 Feb 14 10:09   dev/cdrom -->
> ../cdroms/cdrom0

I'm not entirely sure why this link is pointing that way... Can someone else
jump in here and help?

> Something keeps reseting /dev/cdrom back group=root after I set
> permissions to myself as group

Do you have devfs disabled?

> Here is /etc/fstab:
>
> /dev/hda5 / ext2 defaults 1 1
> /dev/hda2 /boot ext2 defaults 1 2
> none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
> none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
> /mnt/cdrom      /mnt/cdrom      supermount
>fs=auto,dev=/dev/hdc,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,nosuid,exec,ro,noauto,codepage=850,nodev
> 0 0
> /mnt/floppy     /mnt/floppy     supermount
>fs=auto,dev=/dev/fd0,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,nosuid,exec,noauto,nodev,codepage=850
> 0 0
> /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows vfat defaults 0 0
> none /proc proc defaults 0 0
> /dev/hda6 swap swap defaults 0 0
>
> What am I not doing?
> Thanks for ongoing help.
> Andy

Are you using v8.1 of Mandrake? If so, supermount is broken in it, and
disabled (by default from my understanding).

Looks like supermount is turned on in your /etc/fstab file...

--

                                                                       /\
                                                                   Dark><Lord