Hello list !

Some collegues of mine recently asked me a question, considering me -
falsely - to be some sort of a PC-guru. They all use flavours of Windows
and frequently have all sorts of problems. Occasionally I'm able to
help, but mostly I'm just telling them to use the "Vulcan Nerve Pinch"
(the windoze three-finger-salute : <Ctrl><Alt><Delete>) repeatedly until
their systems reboots, eventually running a "scandisk". However, it
seems that after doing so many times their systems slow down quite some.
I've told them to run their defragmentation-program at least once a
month, and the other day I actually watched the program in action,
assembling an enormous amount of files, all spread out over the entire
disk. Took quite some time. Now, of course, they asked me : how often do
you do this defrag-thing ?

My answer : Never, 'cause I don't have to : I use linux on my desktop
and OS/2 on my laptop !

Now, on the OS/2 - side, I know that the filesystem (HPFS) is arranged
in a binary tree fashion, which makes disk-reads/writes extremely fast
and at the same time re-arranges everything to optimal performance. One
can constantly notice the action on the disk : when there's no other
activity going on, the system uses the "idle" time to clean things up.
Cool !

On my linux-box I use the Reiser filesystem. Never had a problem with
it, even after a power-outage. Seems a little mysterious, though.
Earlier, when I used ext2, the system made a file-check every 20'th boot
or so, displaying messages like : "1.6% non-contigous". Fine with me,
but the Reiser-FS just boots and boots happily and never seems to care
about fragmentation at all ?  Performance is blazingly fast even running
KDE, Star Office and all sorts of other applications simultanously -
never seems to need a defragmentation a la windoze. I guess the same
goes for other journalling filesystems as well : ext3, XFS and JFS (the
latter really being an OS/2 thing) ???

And here's my very unimportant question to you : was I lying ?

Kaj Haulrich