On Saturday 16 February 2002 20:20, Lyvim Xaphir wrote:
> On Thursday 14 February 2002 04:07, you wrote:
> > I don't think ReiserFS is worth crying about since it doesn't get
> > smaller than 32MB...
> >
> > A partition that small (such as /boot) isn't getting much activity
> > anyhow. So using a non journel FS is fine. Or, like you seggested, ext3.
> >
> > Fsck on <32MB is hardly even noticable.
>
> What you say is very true.  However, to go on to the *rest* of the story,
> the reasons you enunciate do not pass as reasons NOT to use a capable
> journaling FS on smaller partitions.  I don't see the mandatory use of fsck
> or sync as being a valid reason for anything, no matter how fast it is;
> except maybe clinging to a dramatic but inferior version of past
> evolutionary history best left behind.
>
> On the other hand, if you do happen to have a personal fetish for other
> filesystem types other than journaling, Linux certainly scores with the
> ability to support those fetishes.  Freedom rules; so more power to ya.

I've found that it depends on the kernel you're using.  A couple of months
ago I installed a kernel that could not boot from a reiserfs boot partition
(that was the message I repeatedly got when trying boot with that kernel).  I
was determined to try the kernel so reinstalled and changed the boot
partition to ext2 which booted no probs after installing the new kernel.  I
don't remember which kernel it was, because at the time I was experimenting
and installed 7 different kernels in about 4 days.

Anyway, since I keep upgrading my kernel (I don't know why I do that ;) ) I
decided to leave my /boot and / partiitons as ext2.

Obviously not all kernels can handle reiserfs and after all it is a
relatively new fs.  Haven't tried any of the other journalling fs for /boot.

skinky
--
oxymoron:  Microsoft Works