Obviously, I am somewhat dense, but after all the feedback on creating
an executable file to run my backups, apparently I am still missing
something.

I created a text file named "backup" which I have placed in my home
directory, named /home/chuck. The file contains the following lines:

-----------------------
#!/bin/bash

tar cvzfP /mnt/win_d/linux-bak/home.tar.gz /home
tar cvzfP /mnt/win_d/linux-bak/evol.tar.gz /evolution
--------------------------

After creating this file, I tried to make it executable by typing

chmod +x backup

while in the same directory. I assume this worked since no error
messages were generated.

I had thought that I could run this file by going to the /chuck
directory and typing the file name. But it doesn't run. I get the
response:

bash: backup: command not found

Can someone tell me what I am missing here? I am sorry to be so slow.

Thanks again,

Chuck