I get this error message when I try and run any sound application
(typically XMMS) since rebooting my system.  I was able to use sound
after the install, but after reboot this error appeared.  Please help.

System:  Mandrake 8.1, Ximian Gnome, both updated with Red-Carpet.
Hardware: K6-350, Soundblaster Live!

fuser reports no processes using any of the devices in /dev/audio
permissions for the devices are the nexist:audio (nexist is the local
user).
local user nexist is in the audio group.

I have received this error under other desktops as well (Blackbox,
fluxbox, Windowmaker & KDE).

Douglas