On 18 Feb 2002 23:01:46 -0800
"Nexist Xenda'ths" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> scribbled in frustration:

>I get this error message when I try and run any sound application
>(typically XMMS) since rebooting my system.  I was able to use sound
>after the install, but after reboot this error appeared.  Please help.
>
>System:  Mandrake 8.1, Ximian Gnome, both updated with Red-Carpet.
>Hardware: K6-350, Soundblaster Live!
>
>fuser reports no processes using any of the devices in /dev/audio
>permissions for the devices are the nexist:audio (nexist is the local
>user).
>local user nexist is in the audio group.
>
>I have received this error under other desktops as well (Blackbox,
>fluxbox, Windowmaker & KDE).
==========================
Give this a try:

In xmmx, go to options->preferences
on first tab click on output plugin and set it to "eSound Output Plugin
1.2.6" That should get xmms working

HTH,

Mike

--
"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that
fool you....., he really is an idiot."

-Groucho Marx