I think this is a question that most of us asked when we first
started using Linux. The virus problem is virtually nil........(since
most viruses are exploiting M$ flaws and security problems in M$
programs) however thinking along the same line  --- securing your
linux computer from outside intrusion and hack attacks is another
important issue.  Sridhar Dhanapalan and others have written several
posts that pertain to that issue..... and they are much better at
explaining things than I am.

I suggest you go to the newbie email archives and do a search for ip
chains or security.......... and you can visit :

http://www.mandrakesecure.net/en/

or

http://www.mandrakesecure.net/en/sectools.php

for even more information.

Mandrake Linux is a very secure OS ........ especially so if you are
comparing it to a M$ OS.

Hope this was of some use :)
--
Dave Crouse