RB> After downloading the latest kernel upgrade for my Mandrake 8.1 laptop
RB> install,
RB> I can not boot. When i do boot, i get the following;

RB> Linux Loading ...........

RB> thats it??!! Its as if grub (??) was edited and now lilo can't find
RB> vmlinuz?

RB> I can't use my boot floppy...i get a kernel panic error.

RB> Any suggestions on how i can boot so i can edit lilo and/or grub?

RB> thanks in advance
RB> Ralph

 The trouble is, kernels should never be upgraded, but they should be
 installed. Guess some necessary actions are skipped, when you upgrade
 instead of install. Also, having a trustable kernel around is a good
 idea, as the new kernel may somehow cause trouble.

 To solve the trouble, you can use your mandrake CD's. Just boot from
 the cd, choose to update (not install) your system. This should fix
 it.

 Regards
 Onur Kucuk