Jim Dawson wrote:

> I had to reboot my Linux box this morning and was greeted with a 'File not found'
>message in Grub. (I didn't get the exact message text as I was on my way out the door
>but I think the 'file not found' was the kernel.) I suspect that I may have
>inadvertantly updated the Kernel using MandrakeUpdate.
>
> Is there a way I can repair this without rebuilding the box?
>
> (Mental note: Back up system as soon as I get it running again!)
>
> Thanks in advance.

Jim, you are not the first person to "upgrade the kernel" and thus lose
everything. It's kind of confusing, that the "update" - option includes
the kernel. But to be honest, there ARE several warnings around,
especially on the Mandrake homepage. Kernels should be installed, not
upgraded. Luckily, there's a remedy, so it's not a real disaster. Let me
quote Civileme from memory :

<quote>
Drop in your install CD and boot. When you get to class of install, pick
expert and click the right button, the one that reads "Update". Select
no packages. It will fuss and cluck for a while figuring it has no
packages to update. Then it will install your original kernel.In less
than 10 minutes you are done.
</quote>

Maybe my memory missed something, but that's the general idea. If in
doubt search the archive for something like "kernel" and "update".

HTH

Kaj Haulrich