>       I notice that there are already newer kernels than the one I was going to
> update to (2.4.8.34).  I am mainly looking for one with security updates to
> the one that came with my 8.1 powerpack.  That appears to be 2.4.8.34, but
> I am reading that newer kernels may fix problems that I may not be aware of
> (virtual memory, faster, supermount(?), etc.).

The current cooker kernel 2.4.17-19  seems pretty stable. I am running it on
my test machine now. Supermount works fine, and the VM manager makes it
noticeably faster. However with 8.2 seemingly only weeks away. Maybe you
might like to wait until it all gets finalised. In the meantime 2.4.8-34 is
perfectly functional, and has the security fixes.

>       Also where can I download this kernel version, and is it safer (iow which
> way is my file going to arrive without corruption?) to download with
> browser (konq, or ???), ftp program (???) or with gnome transfer manager?

Use www.rpmfind.net to locate any cooker package or standard package
For downloading individual RPM's I find konqueror perfectly adequate. For
downloading complete ISO's you really need a proper download application with
a resume facility  . gFTP works best for me.

>       I would like to bring my system in line with the various updates available
> through software manager/mandrake update & believe I am ready to take the
> first step (which seems the most daunting but should truly be the first
> step?):  installing a newer kernel alongside my current one.

Just follow the instructions on the Mandrake upgrade site and you will be
fine.

>       Then I can install the nVidia kernel/glx.  It seems there is already a
> version made for 2.4.8.34 which gives a point to that kernel but I believe
> I know how to do the make thing on the raw files if need arises.

You do not need to upgrade the NVIDIA-GLX rpm since that is not release
dependent. Just get the NVIDIA-kernel file from www.mandrakeuser.org download
section.

HTH

derek