Ed is to blame for helping lots of people!  Me very much included.  In
fact he helped me so much I think I can answer this one ;-)

AFAIR the F12 thing gets you to a live version of the error log.  i.e.
here you see error messages as they are issued to the system log.  If
nothing is happening here, that's got to be good right?

HTH
Brian