John,

First, let's try to get you out of the freeze without potentially
creaming your system.

Have a look at: http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/admin/arecov4.html

This covers how to recover or at least crash your system with the lowest
likelihood of doing damage in the process.  I have a printed copy of
this handy at all times :-)

In fact start at: http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/admin/arecov.html

and read through from there.  This is essential stuff if you want to
know how to administer and recover your system, not just crash it and
hope it reboots.

I recommend you try killing the X server (alt-ctrl-backspace) as a first
step.  If this works, it at least indicates where the problem lies.
Then start browsing the system logs for likely error messages.  Once you
get to that point and don't know where to go next, you may have enough
info for the list to help you resolve the problem.

HTH
Brian