El Jue 07 Mar 2002 00:38, escribió:
> I'm trying to install drivers for my smc1211tx ethernet card so I can get
> my cable connection configured correctly.  I'm running 8.0.  I have a
> couple of questions about the directions that came with the cd before I try
> it. The directions say to verify that you have the source code for your
> current kernel version installed.  How do you do that?
> Later it says "install the driver module in the proper location for your
> distribution.  This is usually  /lib/modules/kernel-version/net/driver"
> The closest thing I have is /lib/modules/2.4.3-20mdk/kernel/net.  I want to
> be sure that that is the correct location to install the driver before I do
> it. Finally,  it says to run the following command as root to install the
> driver:
> install -m 644 driver.o /lib/modules/'uname -r'/net/
> Am I really supposed to type 'uname -r', or does this stand for something
> else?
> Should I substitute this directory with the
> "/lib/modules/2.4.3-20mdk/kernel/net" one?
>
> Sorry for all the dumb questions,
> SW

well, to check if you have the source code installed
for your kernel, ( if you are using the download edition
you probably do ) just go to /usr/src/linux and make
sure all the directories are there. if you are not sure,
just put the first mandrake cd in your cd-reader and
type " urpmi kernel-source " without the quotes.
it will say it will install other packages as well to resolve
dependencies. say yes to everithing and that will be it.

i guess all of your other suppositions are correct..
try them and if you get any more trouble post back.

Damian