John Richard Smith wrote:

>Many Thanks for all your replies,
>My fstab file now looks like the file fstab attatched to this email
>please do criticise it if it warrants it.
>
>I now have nicely mounted ntfs partitions.
>
>A couple of questions, though, I chose, default 0 0 , merely because of
>similar  example, not knowing what I am really doing, other options are
>Unmask=0 , etc, and I expect there are some I don't know about.
>
>I would welcome a brief explanation , just in case I ought to being doing
>it differently.
>
>John
>
>On Thursday 07 March 2002 17:37, you wrote:
>
>>Re: [newbie] Browsing NTFS partitions
>>
>>    * From: paolo brusasco
>>    * Subject: Re: [newbie] Browsing NTFS partitions
>>    * Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 07:38:17 -0800
>>
>>Jeff Quandt wrote:
>>
>>>Is it possible to browse NTFS partitions from Mandrake 8.1?  It would
>>>
>>save me
>>
>>>a lot of time moving things from XP to Linux if I didn't have to reboot
>>>
>>all
>>
>>>the time to find the files I need.
>>>
>>>Thanks

>>I mount my ntfs partition (usin mandrake 8.1, kde), by:
>>-adding a directory in /mnt/ named /mnt/win2000 (full access
>>permissions)
>>-adding a line in /etc/fstab like:
>>/dev/hdb5 /mnt/win2000 ntfs umask=0 0 0
>>(where hdb5 is the ntfs partition in my system according to mandrake
>>control center).
>>your system should mount  ntfs partition at boot. I think you can't
>>write to it (I posted that question some days ago and it seems you have
>>to recompile the kernel with experimental options to write to ntfs).
>>bye. paolo brusasco
>>
>>On Thu, 2002-03-07 at 11:50, John Richard Smith wrote:
>>
>>>OK, I've read how to mount Vfat  partitions, and accomplished it,
>>>but how do you mount NTFS partitions in linux.
>>>

>>>John

>/dev/hda6 / ext2 defaults 1 1
>/dev/hda5 /boot ext2 defaults 1 2
>/dev/hda1 /mnt/win2000 ntfs  defaults 0 0
>none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
>none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
>/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto user,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,exec,codepage=850,ro,noauto
>0 0
>/dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom2 auto
>user,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,exec,codepage=850,ro,noauto 0 0
>/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto
>user,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,sync,exec,codepage=850,noauto 0 0
>/dev/fd1 /mnt/floppy2 auto
>user,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,sync,exec,codepage=850,noauto 0 0
>none /proc proc defaults 0 0
>/dev/hda8 swap swap defaults 0 0

>Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

I think umask=0 means you can aceess as normal user, otherwise
filesystem would be mounted as root and viewed only by root. following 0
0 should be about dumping and checking filesystem.
if you want to know more :
of course, you can find full technical explainations opening a console
and typing "man mount" and "man fstab".
Or, you can go to mandrakeonline, and then to mandrakeuser web sites
(more easy).