On Mon, 11 Mar 2002 10:48:23 -0500
"Zlatko Savic" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> studiouisly spake these words to ponder:

> Hey everyone, I apologize if this is the wrong place to post suggestions
> since i don't know a better one but i think that 2 important features
> are missing during the cd-rom installation of MD 8.0 (and later?).
>
> First, by no means i could get my mouse working during the installation
> process (Laptop TP 600E problem). And unfortunately, half of the windows
> that show up during the installation cannot be "tabbed" through. Could
> it be possible to enable mouse pointer control using arrow keys (by
> default)?

Aaaaah yes...you mentioned the magic word... "Laptop TP 600E problem".
emphasis on Laptop. The real problem here is not with Mandrake Cd install
routine(s), rather with the Laptops non-conformity. (where the hardware is
concerned). The problem is hardware related and is, depending on the Laptop,
hard to gage whether you're going to find the install miserably difficult or
mildly amusing.

Normally, if you're using a mainstream brand like IBM's ThinkPad or
something similar that is well supported by Mandrake, then chances are that
you're going to have a fairly amusing time installing the OS. If, on the
other hand, you've got a machine that is off the beaten path then your
chances of having a difficult time installing Mandrake on that machine are
greatly increased.

> Second, I had sometimes the situation that I forgot to take out the
> install cd from the drive and it would automatically run upon booting my
> system. But there is no "X" or "Kill" icon that stops the whole
> installation process and continues booting my computer normally. I don't
> think there is an "exit" button durin the cd-rom install process, is
> there?

> Please correct me if I am wrong!
>
> Zlatko Savic

The install script is designed to kick the CD out upon successful completion
of the installation. I have seen this fail at times. Again, depending upon
the hardware literally getting the signal to eject the disk. It may be that
your CDROM isn't getting that signal and therefore isn't ejecting the disk.
You may just have to manually eject the disk while the machine is posting
upon restart after installation.

At this point and purely for your own information it might be a good idea to
particular machine is supported. Knowing what you've got inside the machine
and how well it is or isn't supported may very well make the marriage
between Mandrake and your laptop a much happier affair.

--
daRcmaTTeR
If at first you don't succeed do what your wife told you to do

Registered Linux User 182496
  7:05pm  up 1 day, 13:28,  2 users,  load average: 0.28, 1.14, 0.78