<laughing>  Well Miark, if it s that important, I'm in Bainbridge GA.

I want to apologize to all offended.

I didn't intend imply that people were too tired or occupied to reply to
questions.  And I'm really not some kind of asshole.  Although looking
back ( hindsight - always 20/20 ), my post does seem to indicate so.  I
just didn't understand why chit-chat received so much more attention than
( at least my ) tech-related questions.  Now I have a better
understanding.

With that said, on to current problems........

I recently, against my better judgement and on advice given from someone
on this list, performed an OS upgrade to fix a boot problem caused by
altering my partition table.  The problem is now fixed.  I can boot
without the boot disk now.  BUT, this caused more problems:

1- I cannot "su".  error reads:   "su: cannot set groups: Operation not
permitted"

2- I cannot mount or umount as user. ( I could before )

3- I cannot run a program as root. error reads:  GET THIS  "Incorrect
password! Please try again."

4- I cannot log in as root on CLI, only in GUI - this makes ABSOLUTLY NO
sense to me whatsoever

I have no idea how to fix any of these.  Any help would be most appreciated.

David
Bainbridge, GA

--

Mandrake Linux  8.1     Kernel  2.4.8-26mdk

David L. Steiner
Registered Linux User   #262493
Homepage                www.davidlsteiner.com
Email                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]