john rigby wrote:

>Hi Lee and folks,

OK,

My 14 year old son took a downloadable CD set (8.2 Beta4) and installed
it.  His 13 year old friend then did the same.  Neither asked me any
questions.  They are happily playing crossfire on the internet.

Both used "Recommended" installs then downloaded the crossfire rpms from
Mandrake-devel.  They prefer it to Windows-compatible crossfire which
they claim crashes a lot with loss of experience points for their game
characters.  On my son's computer, a single-board VIA C3-733MHz
processor based  item with AC97 sound and Trident Cyberblade video, the
crossfire sound worked without a tweak.

8.0 had a deadly problem for those who had "off-board" controllers for
IDE drives, like some ASUS motherboards and some rigs with Promise
Chipsets.  Unless the Freq release following 8.0 is used, it will see
the drives one way during install and try to boot them a different way
later, resulting in an unbootable system, for a few hardware configurations.

Anyway, the number of systems that will install out of the box with no
tweaks is increasing, but some do still require some effort.  There are
ways the hardware configuration can be analyzed and 8.1 and 8.2 have
easily accessible alternate install and boot images to take care of
older systems and weird systems.

And 8.2 as it is soon to be released will support vastly more hardware
than windows XP, and it is probably easier to install as well.  The
gimmick there is that most XP computers are sold by manufacturers with
XP preloaded and the headaches and tweaks taken care of.  The weaknesses
show up in the lack of support for aftermarket devices.  I did a house
call here for someone with a Dell Dimension who tried to update win 98
to XP the day it was released.  His mouse and keyboard would not be
recognized...  As a matter of fact, they were both Microsoft brand and
both in excess of $50 retail and top-of-the-line.  I had to install
linux to rescue his data, then restore it to windows after he wiped XP
and reinstalled 98.  The Microsoft folks had told him to do a clean
install of XP and he had tried that after his data was secure--no joy,
same problems.

I can't say your install will be error-free, and certainly not when yu
insist on using a year-old system that was finished at a very turbulent
time in Mandrakesoft's history, but I do encourage you to try.   And try
installing Windows for comparison and look at the fearsome number of
post-install tweaks required to get video and sound running at
appropriate levels (default install often leaves you with 256 colors on
a 640x480 screen and you have to hunt down drivers to go further).  Our
install takes care of that and now of printer and network connection at
install time.

Civileme