You make a very interesting point and I think I can follow up with an
example.

I live near a huge electronic store called Fry's Electronic. I have
purchased everything from my laptop, the parts for my own gigahertz tower,
two monitors, iMac, Linux-Mandrake 7.0-7.1 and 8.0, WindowsME and XP,
digital camera, cabling up the whazoo....well needless to say I get all of
my toys there.

Up to the release of Linux-Mandrake 8.0 they had stockpiled most of the well
known Linux distros. Last trip I was told when I asked about where and when
the 8.1 would be available and realized that Red Hat had dominated the
shelves. Corel was gone so was Linux-Mandrake and Suse had been cut to a
1/3. BSD had now joined the fray. The store clerk told me there was no point
in keeping Mandrake since there was a vast majority flocking to Red Hat and
BSD had been demanded for a while. There are other stores where they are
still keeping Mandrake, but they have mentioned the same thing. For the
immediate area there is not much demand for it.