On Wednesday 13 March 2002 04:53 pm, Aryan Ameri wrote:
> Hi there:
> I am an old windows user that is tired and sick of Microsoft's policies. So
> I turned to Linux and I now Love this OS and the open source community. I
> only have one problem with Linux and that's the ease of use. I used to use
> Red Hat 7.1 for a couple of months and then I found out that it wasn't for
> me. I was able to find my way trough KDE but couldn't play my VCDs for
> example. Also I never understood tar files. Now I'm in search for the
> easiest Linux Distro. I really don't too many software packages or
> stability ( any Linux Distro is Stable comparing to Windows). I just need
> the easiest to use Distro. I found out that Mandrake is the Distro that
> everybody says suits my needs. But I also found out that there is a Company
> named Lycoris ( formerly known as Redmond Linux) that is making a Distro
> called Desktop/LX. As far as I can see it's very easy to use. It is very
> user friendly for  windows users and it use WINE ( by default) and also
> play DVDs and VCDs Automatically ( I really like this). As far as I can see
> other than Documentation there is no clause for me to use Mandrake.( also
> I'm a little concerned about mandrake soft's financial problems). Maybe
> this is not the right place to ask this question because it is a Mandrake
> mailing list. But I really can't make up my mind in this mater. I am going
> to buy One of these distros in about a week. Please help me in this. Linux
> eager Newbie
> Aryan Ameri

Aryan:

Earlier this week, there was a very favorable review of lycoris at
linuxorbit.com. (I'm not familiar with the site, or the credibility of its
reviews.) The big appeal of lycoris is that it sets up a basic KDE desktop
made to look pretty much like Windows -- down to the wallpaper clouds. You
don't get a lot of options. (Which is not necessarily a bad thing for a
newbie.) I found one of the comments to be very interesting: The poster said
that he would continue to use Mandrake for his work machine, but he would
install Lycoris for others who just needed a basic desktop system. (There's
some irony there... hang around linux for a while and you'll see what I
mean.)

Before you make your decision, I would suggest you poke around the lycoris
sites (www.lycoris.org -- support, and www.lycoris.com -- marketing), and
then do the same at the linux-mandrake site. In particular, look at the
support resources available at Mandrake -- the mail lists, mandrakeuser.org
(check out both the docs and the forum sections), the tutorials, etc. Granted
that a simple installation doesn't need as much support, but then it doesn't
provide the options, either. Also bear in mind that lycoris is a brand new
system. Mandrake has been around for quite a while.

Good luck,
-- cmg