Try running mouseconfig again.

        **As root
        mouseconfig

Go through that, and then try testing it again.  Of course if you've not
done that already.  But I think that's where I'd start.  I think that will
ask you to test the mouse and let you know if it's going to work.

I have a Kensington Expert Mouse Pro, and it works just fine.  Mouse wheel,
and 3 of the 4 mouse buttons work.  And if I had time, I could probably get
the 6 quick start buttons to work if I really worked at it.
tdh

  T. Holmes  |  UNIXTECHS.org  |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |  UIN:  17021091