The Register says MDK 8 & 8.1 will let anyone who can guess the root password
log in to any online box:
The relevant text in the linked to page is :

LINUX
1. Login as root.
2. Open /etc/X11/kdm/Xaccess in editor.
3. Comment out the following two lines, by adding "#" (without quotes) to the
beginning of each line: * #any host can get a login window * CHOOSER
BROADCAST #any indirect host can get a chooser
4. Save your changes, and then close the file.

Except that mine is in xdm, not kdm. Also, if the relevant port is blocked,
presumably nothing can happen. I hope I've got the wrong end of the stick on
this one, but just in case, here it is.

Whilst I'm here, has anyone any ideas about my pcmcia notwork card problem
(posted yesterday)? :-)

Richard