Thanks, Steve.  I solved the problem in a different way.  I defined same
windows partition with another name ("dos") by using lilo configuration tool
coming with installation CDs and it worked.  Than I deleted all the junk
options created by several previous lilo configuration attempts.  I am
afraid I am still more of a windows user who prefers configuration tools to
actual editing of .conf files, but I'll get there!  In time...

Hakan