On Tue, 19 Mar 2002 09:30:31 -0500
"Vogel, Andrew (VOGELAP)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I've got an ATAPI ZIP drive installed in my Linux-Mandrake system (running
> on a Celeron 533, 256 megs memory), and it's not working (it's the SECOND
> device on the SECOND IDE channel and harddrake reports it as hdd). The drive
> powers during POST, so I know the connections are good.
>
> I've got the following in my /etc/fstab:
> /dev/hdd4 /mnt/zip auto
> user,iocharset=iso8859-1,rw,umask=0,sync,exec,codepage=850,noauto 0 0
>
> When I enter "mount /mnt/zip" with a known-good ZIP disk in the drive, I get
> the following:
> root.drewvogel:/etc$ mount /mnt/zip
> mount: /dev/hdd4 is not a block device
>
> Dmesg reports it as there:
> hda: ST36530A, ATA DISK drive
> hdb: WDC AC26400R, ATA DISK drive
> hdc: SAMSUNG CD-ROM SC-152L, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
> hdd: IOMEGA ZIP 100 ATAPI, ATAPI FLOPPY drive
>
> I'm not sure how to proceed. Can someone help?
 /dev/hdd4 /mnt/zip auto
> user,iocharset=iso8859-1,rw,umask=0,sync,exec,codepage=850,noauto 0 0
>
> When I enter "mount /m

I have read some of the other responses.

To your lilo append you need to add hdd=ide scsi and reboot.

Run harddrake.
You should now have 2 listing for your zip drive /dev/hdd/ and /dev/sda.
If that is now true add the following to /etc/fstab

/dev/sda4 /mnt/zip1 auto
user,iocharset=iso8859-1,rw,umask=0,sync,exec,codepage=850,noauto 0 0

In /mnt if none exists create the dir zip1

I prefer to reboot the system at this point but you can achieve the same results by
using the command: mount -a

Whichever you choose, afterwards you should be able to access the drive through
/mnt/zip1

    Charles