On Thu, 21 Mar 2002 09:14:23 -0500
"Vogel, Andrew (VOGELAP)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Well, this is weird... I made the following changes to my system, based on
> emails from Charles & Dennis...
> * edited the line in /etc/fstab to read (notice that "rw" is removed):
> /dev/hdd4 /mnt/zip auto
> user,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,sync,exec,codepage=850,noauto 0 0
>
> (now my /etc/fstab has the following lines for the ZIP drive:
> /dev/hdd4 /mnt/zip auto
> user,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,sync,exec,codepage=850,noauto 0 0
> /dev/sda4 /mnt/zip1 auto
> user,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,sync,exec,codepage=850,noauto 0 0
> )
>
> * added the following append in /etc/lilo.conf (added the hdd=ide-floppy):
>         image=/boot/vmlinuz
>         label=linux
>         root=/dev/hda1
>         append=" devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi"
>         read-only
>
> I then re-ran lilo without problems. When I got home last night, I rebooted
> (with a known-good ZIP disk in the drive). Once the system had booted, I
> logged in and typed:
> root.drewvogel:/usr/sbin$ mount /mnt/zip
> mount: /dev/hdd4 is not a block device
> root.drewvogel:/usr/sbin$ mount /mnt/zip1
> mount: special device /dev/sda4 does not exist

Andrew
Run Hardrake and see how many listings there are for your Zip drive.
It will be under the floppy heading.

You should have 2.
One as /dev/hdd and one as /dev/sda.

If you only have the one, /dev/hdd then you will need to do the following.
Open a terminal and su to root:

 # cd /dev
 # ./MAKEDEV sda\*

Do not enter the # that is only a notation for the prompt.

The above will create the special device files for sda and you should then be able to
access your zip through sda4 using /mnt/zip1.

    Charles