John Lynch wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I just was added to this group, and I will be trying to install Mandrake in
> either 1 hour and 52mins or tomorrow.

Go for tomorrow, things are always clearer in the morning... *AFTER*
Coffee! :)

> Sorry if this has already been answered or if it is in the documentation,
> you would NOT believe how much documentation i have read for different Linux
> distro's and how many mailing lists I have joined until they all told me to
> come here, so here I am.
>
> I have 3 questions
>
> 1> HOW do you create it so there is a dual boot system with Windows XP and
> Mandrake 8.2, with Windows XP being the default OS so when you turn on the
> computer it will run to Windows XP unless I specify it to run Mandrake?

You can be either a total hedonist *like me* & use bootmagic *comes with
Partition Magic* & it will allow you to set a default OS to bootup.
Mine is Win2k.

Or you can use the built-in booter-thingy called LiLo.  Quite an
efficient program, lets you specify which OS Is default *it will pick
Linux by default itself, ofc*.
Do that on installation of your LM8.x distro.

> 2> HOW do I set my CD drive in Windows XP so it will check that for bootable
> CDs? (sorry if no-one knows, I am going to try to work it out once I e-mail
> this)

Do so in the Bios, most newer *post P3's* computers have an option in
their BIOS to boot from CD.  Easy enough to do.

> 3> HOW do I burn Mandrake CD1 onto a cd? do I just burn it like any other
> program? or does it require something special be done to the CD?

Tell me what program you are using.  I use nero 5.x.  Very efficient.
> Thankyou for answering my questions.
>
> John

Enjoy! :)

Femme