Hi newbies and not-so-newbies, may your tribe increase,
I don't need to serve the world. I just want an ordinary db to keep track
of my reading habits. I have around 20,000 records saved (not all here,
it includes those just read, borrowed, discarded, and stuff).
In another incarnation I managed to keep track of them in Access ..
which astonished me 18months after I converted to Lotus Approach, as
it is not that friendly ... I digress).
I have an old (pre-99) Lotus Approach (given to me by a friend who
upgraded - I can't afford Smart Suite) on my WinME partition. I can
export (for example as a comma delimited text file) it and import it to
Approach (and to Access if need be). I like Approach - easy to
add/search for items, and report generation (don't need Crystal
Reports) is dead easy too.
What is my best choice in Linux?
I don't need to share across a network. I have used Ingres/SQL (and
Total Database <g>) in the past, but think it is overkill for my modest
requirements.
Yes, I checked out the db apps, but this is only little (although perhaps
a little more than keeping track of one's CD collection) and I'm
overwhelmed by the selection. The info is geared towards websites and
servers ...
Any help?
M8.0, PIII866, 256 RAM, dual boot with WinME (going, going ...),
around 10gigs for Linux.
--
Cheers,
Helen (who reads this list and saves all great info for later! Thanks,