SNIP>
> Though I am  sure I added cdwriter to groups for user 'curt' (I'm the only
> user) when I run 'cdrecord --scanbus' It tells me:
> No such file or directory exists. Cannot open SCSI driver
> For possible targets try cdrecord -scanbus.  ....Which gives the same
> result.

This is a good clue Curt. It is exactly what I got as well when I first tried
using my burner. It seems for 'some' cd-writers you must diasable devfs
before cdrecord will work.

To disable devfs edit the file /etc/lilo.conf  find the line that includes
devfs=mount   and change that to devfs=nomount

save the file and then as root type
/sbin/lilo

It will then write the boot record. If you get an error message at this point
you have probably got a typo in the lilo.conf file. DO NOT reboot until this
command works without an error or else you may not be able to boot again!

Now after a reboot you will (hopefully) be able to run cdrecord successfully.

Disabling devfs may have an impact on desktop icons for scanners/zip drives
etc. You may need to create the icons again. If you need help doing this let
us know. Also check out that you can still play audio CD's OK.

HTH

derek