Did you try to unmount the devices?

Make sure you're not currently accessing something on either one, then run
the commands:

umount /mnt/floppy
eject

That should unmount the floppy so you can eject it manually.  The eject command
will unmount the CD, if it was mounted, before it ejects it.

>From there, put the floppy back in, and run the command:

mount /mnt/floppy

Then try to access the contents of the floppy.

Similar steps with the CD-ROM.  Insert the CD:

mount /mnt/cdrom
cd /mnt/cdrom
ls -a

I'm not sure how the automount works in 8.2.  It may need to be tweaked a bit.

But now I have a question.  Why did you upgrade to 8.2?  If 8.1 was working,
and you weren't having any problems, why did you upgrade to 8.2?

It seems a lot of people think that as soon a new revision comes out, they have
to upgrade to the new rev.  That's not the case.  In previous revs that was
needed.  There was a good sized jump in kernel capabilities and hardware additions
from 7.2 to 8.0. So there was a need to upgrade there.  But from 8.1, to 8.2, I
don't believe there is.

I've noticed, more so this time then with the last two Mandrake revs, that people
are upgrading merely because there's a new version.  Micro$HAFT has conditioned
people to think that a new version is out, and you have to upgrade.  This is not
the case with Linux.

If you keep your apps and patches up to date, there's no need to upgrade.  There
are still people on the list that run on Mandrake 7.2.  In my opinion it's still
the most stable of Mandrake's releases.  If you upgrade the kernel and apply safty
patches and the like, there's still no need to upgrade.  At the time I only went
to 8.0 because of better hardware support.

Hope my suggestions helped.
tdh

  T. Holmes  |  UNIXTECHS.org  |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |  UIN:  17021091