Well, I know NOTHING about computers, but here's my Australian 2cents.

Have you defragged your computer?
If your using Windows 98 a good program to use is FIPS, that gives u
instructions on how to partition your harddrive and what to do if it doesn't
work.

If your using Windows XP then a good program to use is Partition Magic,
which I've heard you can download through Imesh and get a crack with it, I
didn't do this of course........

Hope this helps John.