--

Thank you ,

I disconnected the USB printer and booted up, then reconnected it.
Nothing happened, was something supposed too.

So, just for the hell of it, typed printerdrake in a root shell
and went through connection detection proceedures.
This is what it said:-

[root@localhost root]# printerdrake
Starting CUPS printing system:                                  [  OK  ]
scheduler is running
lp: Device or resource busy
parport_pc: Device or resource busy
rmmod: module parport_probe is not loaded
parport: Device or resource busy
modprobe: Can't locate module parport_probe
rmmod: module parport_probe is not loaded
lp: Device or resource busy
parport_pc: Device or resource busy
rmmod: module parport_probe is not loaded
parport: Device or resource busy
modprobe: Can't locate module parport_probe
rmmod: module parport_probe is not loaded

Which I took to mean it had failed, but,

Mandrake Control Center - Info - USB devices, reports:

USB OHCI Ropot Hub (1)
      |___  Lexmark Z53

So I ran a testpage and it worked. Cannot make sense of it.
but I'm thankful for a working printer, only wish I new why ?
Any explanations.

regards,

John

John Richard Smith