----- Original Message -----
From: Michael Kovary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, March 26, 2002 10:15 PM
Subject: Re: [newbie] cannot partition

> I just tried FIPS, and I keep getting an error message telling me that
the
> partition tables don't match or something to that effect.  So right
now I
> running a surface scan to see if it can correct any problems, (don't
know if
> it will do any good at all)
> which might be done by the time I wake up in the
> morning.

Michael,

I just a new Dell box with XP on a 40GB drive. The way I did it was
knowing that resizing with Diskdrake would likely wipe out some needed
files on the XP system I ran the Mandrake install. (Being VERY sure to
make a boot floppy during the install) Did all the partition resizing,
installed Mandrake and then reinstalled XP on the same drive. Worked
like a charm.

When I was finished with the XP reinstall I booted back into Mandrake
with the boot floppy and re-ran lilo to reinstall the bootloader to the
front of the drive and everything works just as it's supposed to.

By the way..it took only 23 minutes to install Mandrake and be able to
run it and get some stuff done. The XP reinstall took almost an hour
which included reformatting the windows partition and all that needs to
be done. I don't know yet if Mandrake can see the NTFS partition, but I
do know that the kernel supports that.

Mark