El mié, 27-03-2002 a las 14:32, Curt Tresenriter escribió:
> At 02:52 PM 3/26/02 -0300, you wrote:
>
> >El mar, 26-03-2002 a las 13:20, [EMAIL PROTECTED] escribió:
> > >
> > > I'm dual booting mdk 8.1 on two different drives - or I was...
> >
> > > I tried to re-install 8.1 (on hdb) - Formatted root and /boot leaving /home
> >  alone and chose no packages.
>
> ======snip===
>

> >  Curt,
> >yes, that "LI--" means your boot sector is not working right. to fix it,
> >you gotta rewrite hda's boot sector.
> >
> >boot rescue mode and run lilo ( /sbin/lilo ). that should do it.
> >
> >HTH
> >
> >Damian
>
> Damian,
> Unfortunately not...
> It looked like it rewrote LILO  - it added vmlinuz, etc but I got this
> mesage : Warning BIOS drive 0x82 may not be accessible.
> On re-booting it hung at LI again.
>

> insert 1st cd
> rescue mode
> chroot \mnt --to simulate your system
> init 5 ---graphic mode
> go to control center and reinstall lilo.
> hope to help
> afonso
>
> Afonso,
> After chroot /mnt I ran init 5 and got
> INIT: Switching to runlevel : 5
> INIT: Sending process the TERM signal
>
> I let it sit for 10 min or so - the cursor sat below the above, blinking
> until I shut it down.
>
> Also tried re-install again - thanks Brian - It wouldn't let me choose
> upgrade - I chose /boot to be formatted.
> A message told me:
>   "I can't read your partition table it's too corrupted for me :(
> I can try to go on blanking bad partitions (All DATA will be lost)
> The other solution is to modify the partition table.
> (The error is no normal partition in extended partition)"
>
> I chose not to lose all data and continued but on re-booting - hung at LI
> again.
> Also tried installing 8.2 after switching to boot from the cd but it didn't
> seem to see the cd and hung at LI once more
>
> Have I run out of options?
> Curt

one thing on your side when this kind of problem appears, you are never
out of options.

it looks like the installation can't find a primary partition on that
disk.

 try entering the installation, and on the bar
at the left which shows in what stage of the installation you are,
click on "boot loader" or anything that is past the packages
installation.
this way you don't touch your system in any way, but the installer
will try to find which OSses you got installed and will reconfigure
your MBR and boot loader.

anyway, if you can access partitions ( you don't need to be able to
boot them ) you can redo the partitioning without erasing any data.
if i understand correctly, you have two HD's, right?

boot in rescue mode and go into midnight commander ( the command
is " mc " ) backup your data from one disk to the other. then
redo all partitioning of the backed-up disk from scratch. then
restore the data you backed up.

later, you can do the same on the other. the one that you used as a
back-up
will be the one backed-up, and repartition it.

you can use the dd command to make exact copies of the data contained
in one partition.

anyway this is the hard way to do it, maybe you can fix your
problem without re-doing all your partitions..

good luck

Damian