Well, I don't know what these messages mean either :-(
If you play around with real player a little bit you will find a configuration window. There you can set up some parameters to assure compatibility with your sound card. In my system it is set something like this, "use the os sound driver", and it works fine.
I don't know whether it will help you, but that is all I know by now. Good luck and hope you succeed.

Rodrigo

Defner Johannes wrote:
Am Dienstag 26 März 2002 14:52 schrieben Sie:
Hello Hannes, I had the same problem some time ago. I solved it using
the following command to open realplayer:
artsdsp realplay
Type that at the command line and see what happens. If it works for you,
I can send you a shell script I wrote, in order to get things more
automated. I think this method is valid only if you're running kde, I am
not sure.
Hope it helps you,

Rodrigo

Defner Johannes wrote:
Hello everybody!
First some lines to introduce me:
Linux is a hobby of me and I have some experiences with installing Suse,
RedHat , Mandrake and some (bad ;-) ) experiences with debian. Now I am
using mandrake 8.1; some experiences with working with command line too.
My problem is that after starting realplayer8 I`ve got following msg:
Cannot open audio device! Maybe another application is using it.
My soundcard is a SB64 ,driver Esonique 1370, kde 2.2.2, kernel
2.4.8-34.1mdk, securitylevel medium and tiny firewall installed.
I´ve tried to change the permissions of /dev/audio and /dev/mixer with
chmod -c 666 and chmod a=rw. After restarting the system there were the
old permissions ( crw---------). Afriend of mine suggested that there is
a problem with PAM too. Or it could be a PATH problem.
As a newbie II don´t know the commandline methods to solve these problems
and with the help forum of realplayer8 I have probl

ems to understand what
I have to do.
Is there anyone how could support me?
thanks in advance
Hannes

Want to buy your Pack or Services from MandrakkeSoft?
Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com
Dear Rodrigo!
Thanks for your answer. Alsa is not running. Following happend:
$ artsdsp realplay
Realplayer8 is starting with the same error-msg.
In the terminal you can read:
esd: Failed to fix mode of /tmp/.esd to 1777.
Try -trust to force esd to start.
esd:Esound sound daemon unable to create unix domain socket:
/tmp/.esd/socket
The socket is not accessible by esd.
Exiting.....
$esd -trust
esd: Failed to fix mode /tmp/.esd/socket
Unable to connect to Unix socket /tmp/.esd/socket

Perhaps this could help you for further suggestions. I don?t know the meaning
of these msgs.
cu Hannes