On Thursday 04 April 2002 03:54 am, Frank H offered these words:
 Hi good people..

 I have just bought a new 41 gig IBM hard drive for my
 old heap of a home server. (IBM 300PL. 233mmx HX
 chipset, 160MB ram, TNT2 Video.)

 Anyway, I installed the drive, the 300PL saw it as an
 8.4 gig drive.. (and thats after I flashed the latest
 IBM bios.)
 Still, I thougt if it works as an 8.4 that will do..
 But the Mandrake 8.2 install saw the full 41 gig and
 partitioned and installed accordingly.

 All went well, including setting up X and everything
 else.. so I had lilo written to the MBR and went to
 restart my new install.

 No good, it couldn't find the boot record.. kept askin
 for a bootable media.

 So I tried writing lilo to /dev/hda5 which is my /root
 partition, but that resulted in the same thing.. (is
 it possible that I can only load lilo to the /root
 partition if there is no seperate /boot partition?)
 After makin everything XFS and then discovering there
 was no way to make a boot disk, I reloaded with
 everytyhing as Reiserfs except /boot and /root which
 were ext3..  so now the only way to get my system up
 and running is via a  boot disk, although it works
 perfectly from that point on, including X and all...

 How can I got my system to boot from the hard disk???

 does anyone know what I could try?

 I found some utils on the IBM hard drive site for
 this, but they all turned out to be winblows stuff,
 even though you could make their disks from linux,
 they still wanted to format everything in fat or fat32
 and load dos TSR's.. which is not alot of good in a
 linux system.

 Any help would be wonderful..

 many thanks

 kindest regards

 Frank Hauptle.

 PS.. I apologise for not posting much lately, but I
 still have not got a domain that mandrake accepts for
 posting mail, and yahoo via the web is a pain in the
 tookus.. so I only post now when I'm desperate, at
 least until I find a good easy method..

 thanks again..... :-)
Since all the trouble with the substandard drives IBM produced Iwouldn't buy
an IBM HDD. But I don't think the drive was the problem. I had a similar
problem on first boot of a clean install on a 60 GB Maxtor. MDK 8.2 saw the
drive; the BIOS didn't, and the only way to boot the system was from the
floppy. Also on 'second' first boot after flashing the BIOS on my BX6 Rev. 2
so that it could see the new drive.

I did a complete fresh install and used "Linux Native" for /boot, everything
else is Reiser. Perfect results since. It ain't a server but the problem was
remarkably similar. I think I remember reading that ext3 was still buggy in
some ways, or just "not quite there yet."

I have no clue why this happened but the method of install I used the third
time worked. One of the 'old hands' can probably explain it. In the meantime
what I have works just fine so.....
C.