On Saturday 06 April 2002 05:16 pm, you wrote:
> Randy Kramer wrote:
> > Seedkum Aladeem wrote:
> > > A- Make the install utility do the md5sum tests automatically before
> > > the install is done.
> >
> > Point A raises a point -- AFAICT, the md5sum on a burned CDROM is
> > different than the md5sum of the downloaded ISO (I've pretty well
> > convinced myself of this).  Even worse, the md5sum *may*  differ
> > depending on which software you use to burn it, and which options you
> > choose.
> >
> > I have a page on WikiLearn dedicated to learning more about these
> > points:
> >
> > http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Wikilearn/Md5sumsAfterBurning
> >
> > Look it over, and if you can contribute any data points or
> > understanding, please feel free to do it yourself as it is a wiki, or
> > write to the list or me and I will edit the page.
> >
> > Randy Kramer
>
> I found the most common md5 sum program for windows sucks.
>
> For me, MD5Summer * I kid not, thats its name* Just rocks ;p
>
> Newbie-stupid & works fast.  It will even generate sums, b/c i cannot
> figure out how to use the sums LM provides properly...and when I've
> tried it fails.
>
> Shrugs.  YMMV
>
> Femme
Femme, for MD5SUM this is how I have used it for the .iso files and it should
work for any type file this way:
in a console :   cd to the directory the files are in such as on a cdrom disk
cd /mnt/cdrom then at the prompt type: md5sum  nameoffile.i586.iso       or
whatever it could be  "nameoffile.1mdk.i586.rpm"  in any case once the file
name is typed then hit enter and it will chug away for a while and then spit
out the alpha numeric string  32 bit I believe that you can compare to what
was shown on the download site .  It has worked for me every time.  HTH
--
Dennis M. linux user #180842