Currently, my drives are set up as follows:
Primary master (hda) - old, slow, and possibly flakey IDE. Win98SE only
with two FAT32 partitions
Primary slave (hdb) - nice ATA100 IDE. Mandrake 8.1 with /, /boot,
/home, /swap, /archives partitions -- some Reiser and some ext2.
Secondary master (hdc) - CD-ROM
Secondary slave (hdd and scd0) - CD-RW

I just bought a new Maxtor ATA 133 IDE HD to replace the windows drive. The
plan is to move my current windows installation to it. (Yeah, I know, but
there's some stuff that doesn't work in Linux.) I've done this before and
it's worked well. I'll have about 10 gb free space there for future use.

Problem: Maxtor wants each of the two hard drives to be set up as the master
on separate channels. My concern is that Mandrake will move from hdb to hdc,
and the CD-ROM goes from hdc to hdb. Is this going to create problems, or is
there a simple way to do this? FWIW, a complete 8.1 reinstall wouldn't be all
that big a deal, but if there's a simpler way I'd like to hear about it.

-- cmg