Lisa Evans wrote:

>I upgraded from Mandrake 8.0 to 8.2, which might explain some problems
>I've been having (since I didn't do a clean install). First of all, I
>recently got a NIC that is supposed to be able to run under Linux. It
>can use the 8139too module or the rtl8139 module which I downloaded and
>compiled (after some hassles with the version.h include file). However,
>neither of these modules will load with insmod because of unresolved
>symbol errors.
>
>I also have onboard sound, which works under the OSS drivers but not
>very well, so I wanted to install the ALSA driver for it
>(snd-card-via686a). Even though I used the ALSA drivers source provided
>with Mandrake 8.2, I get unresolved symbol errors on that as well.
>
>>From google groups searches and some advice from a friend, I thought
>turning off version checking in the kernel and recompiling would fix
>this. However, I get errors during make modules! I don't understand why
>I get errors compiling the source code that Mandrake provided.
>
>Any thoughts?
>
>Lisa Evans

>Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

8139too is compiled into the kernel as a module--you should not have
needed it at all...

I would say save your data and do a fresh install, then

chkconfig --del alsa

and edit /etc/modules.conf

to plug in the OSS driver for your sound card.  (Look in
/lib/modules/(kernelnumber)/kernel/drivers/sound)

and

alias sound (modulename without the .o)

is usually sufficient.

Civileme