Thank you Damian,
That explains it.
I did not know about src at all.
Two further questions,

If I choose to compile a tar ball, can I turn the compiled file into an rpm
file, and if so how,

If  I choose to compile the src rpm file, rather than compile a tar ball,
which is likely to be best. Is there a question of installabillity , between
one computer over another computer, assuming they both have the same
base OS.

In otherwords are there pros and cons between either route.

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]