Femme wrote:

> I had to edit the PAM files... :\
>
> it sucked but I got the error:
>
> Your permissions are too restrictive.  Please see this readme *located where
> it says to go* & fix it.

I'm butting in here (Sorry Femme!) but I wanted to pass along a mistake I made
at this point once. The file that Femme is referring to covers console
permissions (/etc/security/console.perms under Mandrake but it can vary a bit)
and you have to comment out any lines that have "dri" in them. Note that I said
lines. Plural. There was 2 entries in mine. I only commented out the first one.
You drop out of X, restart, and everything seems to work fine. Until you
actually power-down and restart, then boom! you can't even logon anymore from
your normal user account. You get a one line (hope you are a speed reader!)
warning that disappears. Something about "critical error" blah blah blah. You
can still logon as root though. Fortunately, I realized that I hadn't made any
other changes recently except to that file. I went back, found the other "dri"
entry, commented it out, and all was well at Hall Estates again.

Hope this keeps someone else from making the same mistake! ;-)

--

                                                                       /\
                                                                   Dark><Lord