On Thu, 2002-04-11 at 21:52, FemmeFatale wrote:
> Lyvim Xaphir wrote:
>
> > From what I've heard, somebody really needs to update and streamline the
> > Aureal soundcard drivers at Sourceforge.  I hope it happens soon, cause
> > I don't want to get another soundcard, this one is great.
> >
> > HTH,
> >
> > LX
> >

> IIRC aureal as a company is dead isn't it? Just curious...b/c I know
> some ppl who wouldn't mind a pro card like it.
>
> Femme

Yes, they are.  They marketed a new sound technology that Creative Labs
whined and moaned about, saying it couldn't be done.  Then Aureal
released their chipset, and it was so hot that John Carmack at id
software put the A3d feature directly into Quake3.

Then Creative Labs sued Aureal, and since they were still a startup,
they couldn't afford the court costs.  To add insult to injury, Creative
Labs bought the remnants of the company and integrated "the technology
that couldn't be done" into their own cards.

So since Creative Labs couldn't compete technically with Aureal, they
used some lawyers to run Aureal out of business; a la Microsoft.

The upside to all this is that I think there are some sound chipsets out
there  such as the Cmedia 8738 (which is on the Chaintech CT-7VJDA
Athlon mobo) that have several 3D audio standards built in, such as A3D
1.0, and EAX 1.0/2.0.  The new turtle beach Santa Cruz has those also,
plus IA3D, MacroFX, MultiDrive, and Virtual Ear.

If I'm forced to get another sound card, it will never be a Creative
Labs, and the one I do get will have Linux drivers available and up to
date before I invest.

L8R !

LX

P.S. -- I've been super happy with this card.

--
Kernel  2.4.8-26mdk     Mandrake Linux  8.1