On Thu, 11 Apr 2002 12:37:30 -0600, Charlie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi all;
>
> A situation has developed here in 'Garlic City' that requires me to replace
> my old Maxtor 13 GB hard drive (primary master) with something slightly
> larger. As in a 40 GB, or (another) 60 GB. It has to do with a friend's old
> P200 machine and a little 11 year old that wants a "computer to  use like
> daddy's" but the old one has a dead drive. The specs are such that the BIOS
> can't be forced to use anything larger than 8 GB. What does that have to do
> with my 13 GB you ask? I'm swapping it to hisaunt for her 6.4 GB and using
> that on the P200. Then I'll be able to sucker her into trying Mandrake 8.2.
> She's been "afeered of that thang!" until now but she can live with the dual
> boot she'll end up with.
>
> Anyway, back to the question: I'll be re-installing Mandrake on my own box.
> The partitions as it stands now on the two drives are:
> my old 13 GB Maxtor : boot (500 MB; probably WAY too much),
> / (roughly 5 GB),
> /usr (about 5.5 GB),
> /var at about 1.5 GB.
> my new 60 GB:
> /home 35 GB,
> /data store 25 GB.
>
> I don't like this for some reason. It doesn't seem 'elegant.' Anyone have a
> suggestion regarding partition layout and sizes? I'll most likely go for
> another 60 GB Maxtor since there's only about CDN$18 price difference. That's
> only US$11.33 at the spot exchange right now for my friends south of the
> border.

13GB is probably a bit over the top for 'system' (non-user data) purposes. If
you like, you can probably make another 'data' partition on the 13GB drive,
taking some space from the other partitions. 500MB is way too big for /boot;
50MB is probably more than you'll ever need. I would probably give 1GB to /var,
5GB to /usr, 1GB to /tmp, 1GB to / (unless you plan on installing many things to
/opt, in which case you should allocate more), and the rest to 'data'. Of
course, it all depends on how you use your system.

You may also want to look into LVM. LVM can treat both drives as one unit, and
it allows you to change partition sizes non-destructively. Diskdrake can handle
LVM creation.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan

"... _no_ major software project that has been successful in a general
marketplace (as opposed to niches) has ever gone through those nice lifecycles
they tell you about in CompSci classes. Have you _ever_ heard of a project that
actually started off with trying to figure out what it should do, a rigorous
design phase, and a implementation phase?" -- Linus Torvalds